Penpisha's IB Psych Blog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Why IB Psychology HL?

Okay, now I'm going to answer the question, which can really be included in the introduction, but better seperate it because of organization, "Why am I in for IB Psychology HL?"

First of all, I decide to divide the question into two main part: "Why am I in for Psychology?" and "Why am I doing IB HL?"

Okay, why Psychology? An easy one to answer.

"Because it's Psychology!!"
The answer sound simple, but full of meaning. I take Psychology because it is Psychology!! Okay, it sound a bit strange but I will explain it. First, what is Psychology for me? According to English and Math, Psychology = Psycho + Logy = Mind + Study of = The study of the mind. (English for the words, math for the equation). According to Science, Psychology is the study of how the brain pass on message, from neurons to neuron, that determine how people react to the environment. Summarizing, Psychology is the study of "why people do as they do, feel as they feel and act as they act?" That's why I choose to take Psychology!! I am always interested in why people are as they are, always interested in psychology itself. I believe that the subject I found to be interesting are often a priority for me for many things, little more than the ones I found less interested. I really look forward to this class ever since I know this class really existed!!

Now the next question: "Why is it IB Higher Level?" The answer is:

"Because of the IB Diploma!!"
The IB Diploma is the course over a period of 2 year, which composed of 6 subjects from each of the departments: English, Modern Language, Social Science, Mathematics, Sciences, and Elective, 3 Standard Level and 3 Higher Level. I am current trying for the diploma, so I need to choose one from each of the subjects to satisfy the diploma. After choosing the class I want to take, I need to choose whether it should be SL or HL. Now, looking at the Social Science subjects, there are:
1. Business and Management
2. Economics
3. History
4. Geography
5. Psychology
The ones I am interested in are Business, History and Psychology. So I have narrow down my choices. Now, back to the whole diploma, which say I need 3 HL and 3 SL. Why HL is quite simple. From my schedule, it take science and art to be my HL. That left me with modern language, English and Math. The modern language I choose doesn't have HL, so it must be SL. I don't have enough motivation for English, so I take SL. For Math, easily saying is that I am not good enough that the department won't let me in for the hard HL, so that's SL. That make me to choose the Social Science as HL. History is out of the choice, since there's no such thing as History HL, not now. That left me with Business and Psychology. After the scheduling, Business HL is full and is closed, so that's why Psychology HL.
That conclude why I choose to take Psychology HL!

2 Comments:

  • Ploy
    You have given many good reasons for studying psychology and deciding on IB Psy. Your approach sounded very logica. You will learn more about the mind and behaviour and I hope you enjoy the subect as well. I can see that you like writing and that should give you a definite advantage in tackling all the essays you will need to do.

    By Blogger Peter Anthony @ SAS, at 11:05 AM  

  • I had the same reason why I had to take psychology. For me I like all sciences, except bio.:D Psychology to me is more of a science than a philosophe. Meaning psych. is based on edcuated tests and solving answers using tools like mathematics, unlike history where the fact might point to something but there is no way to prove it.

    I also had to pick a social science HL course because I know I will be commiting sucide if I have taken either HL math or english. At the last moment I was pursuaded to take psych over business.

    By Blogger Maytee, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home