Penpisha's IB Psych Blog

Friday, November 24, 2006

Existentialism

Okay, first, what is existentialism? Well, it's a branch of philosophy dealing with human existence. Why are we here? What is life? Who put us into this world? etc. Anyhow, this is what humanist psychology focus on too. We discussed about it in class for some days and in this entry, I'm going to express how I feel about the topic.

Well, my first time hearing about this term isn't in the psychology class. It's in the English class during the discussion about the novel, Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto. My English teacher explained it as seeing everything around as fake and the world seems surreal. That's the first time I heard of the word. During psychology class this week, we began Humanist Perspective and discussed about existentialism. Though the meaning is a little bit different, they are somewhat similar. Existentialism talks about death, absurdity, anxiety, angst, etc. A lot of details are added to my meaning of existentialism.

Well, for me, this is quite dark. The topic itself make me think "isn't this darker than the psychodynamic perspective?" Well, the truth that recently, I tend to question all sorts of question about the world, such as "why is the cloud white?" and "why is there still war when people agree that it's one of the most terrible things?" and "why do people afraid of something they can't see, like ghosts or spirit?", also means I am too asking the question of why thing exists, not only myself, by where does all matters comes from if the matter can't be created nor destroy. I have be question this myself, so I feel like in this perspective, the Humanist Perspective, I might get some answer, some theories about why we do exist. So, how I feel? The topic is dark but I'm pleased to study this. ^ ^

1 Comments:

  • Hi! I'm a psychology student from Argentina... nice to meet your blog =)

    the.psych@yahoo.com.ar

    By Blogger Abril, at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home